Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Absence, My Excuse



Sufie got sick -- a bad case of asthma brought on by trying to poison her fleas. I nearly killed her with all the crap I was using: sprays, Frontline, powder, flea shampoo, two types of collars. None of it worked, but Sufie could scarcely draw breath. Then she started tremoring.




I took her to the vet through it all, each time describing all the products I was using to rid the house of fleas. No one ever said, "Stop using them."




Finally, after spending about $1,000 to have her x-rayed, stuffed in an oxygen cage, checked, double-checked, triple-checked, I went online. Feline asthma -- buy an Areokat nebulizer and administer the same spray human's use. Flea toxins -- wash the cat in mild soap to remove the Frontline (which totally doesn't work), the flea collar poisons and the shampoo; have the powered rugs cleaned by a professional; scrub all sprayed areas with water (because you don't want to add more chemicals to the atmosphere) and vaccum every day for two weeks.




These measures stopped her tremors, but the only thing that ended the flea infestation was Revolution, another product like Frontline, (except it works). Sufie gets a little sick when I put it on her, but the fleas have disappeared.




So now that she's well again, I'm going to try to post my blog once a week. Sort of lame for a blog titled "The Daily Activities of my Cat," but the best I can do.
'Till next week.




3 comments:

  1. Saga about sick Surfie saddened me. With three cats carrying on here, if one has a glitch, we're all upset.

    Good job in sorting it out, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your cat is better. After Robspierre died, I decided I couldn't bond so closely with another.

    ReplyDelete